06 May 2009

Classifying multilingual writers

Let's do a preliminary classification of multilingual writers.

1. Some multilingual writers think in two or more languages, taking advantage of vocabulary and figures of speech available only in one language but not in the other/s.

2. Some multilingual writers think in one language and write in another (or others), unconsciously and instantaneously translating from their mother tongue to the other language/s.

3. Some multilingual writers deliberately or consciously translate from their mother tongue to other languages.

4. Some multilingual writers deliberately borrow words, phrases, or figures of speech from other languages which they speak fluently.

5. Some multilingual writers deliberately borrow words, phrases, or figures of speech from other languages which they do not speak fluently.

6. Some (we really can't call them) multilingual writers borrow isolated words, phrases, or figures of speech from other languages using a dictionary, an informant, or some other linguistic device.

Think of any more?

2 comments:

  1. Which category would you classify me in, Isagani?

    Is that good?

    I see myself in #1, but I also take advantage of the figures of my first, second, third, and fourth languages (those I could read and write with a reasonable degree of literariness).

    ReplyDelete
  2. sir ganni

    maybe i belong to section 1,lol. and im not sure how readers would classify/rate me. from time to time, i am influenced by what i read and study. i adapt to it. and then, write as to how i would speak - just like that unconscious and instant feeling of telling a story. when i edit my work, i would borrow words and ideas, craft - and it glues me to more time. so the more i read, the more i write.

    my mother tongue is Filipino, but when i write i think English

    and set my words free

    if in English

    thanks for letting me share

    have a nice evening po, and to sir albert, too. good night, teachers.

    ReplyDelete