06 December 2010

Divortiare

Another novel that mixes languages is Divortiare by Ika Natassa.

Here is a description:  "Divortiare  is a novel which includes dialogues containing English. The characters in this novel often mix bahasa Indonesia with English or even switch from bahasa Indonesia  into English.  Sometimes they also use ethnic languages such as Javanese or Bataknese."

Here is an excerpt:



Denny memelukku. Not this passionate-I-just-want-to-feel-you-up hug, but a warm, close, hug.
Tenggorokanku tercekat, dan aku cuma bisa berkata pelan, “You don’t want to be with me, Den. I’m ruined.
Ada rasa lega yang menjalar di sekujur tubuhku saat mendengar jawabannya.
Let me fix it.
Aku mengangkat kepalaku dari pundaknya, dan ia tersenyum menatapku.
I can fix it. And I will. If you just let me.
But it’s gonna take a while, Den. It’s gonna take a long while.
Then we have all the time in the world to make you fall in love with me, right ?

No comments:

Post a Comment